Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Only time will tell.

As noted by a previous blogger, I also found this blog to be the most challenging.  Having a set goal and obtaining my ‘dream job’ might be a stretch this early in my life.  I don’t even know what I truly want out of my career in aviation just yet.  This fact can also be highlighted by the numerous guest speakers that we have had the opportunity to listen to over the past semester.  Many of them might tell you that where they are in their career wasn’t considered an option when they were first starting out.

As I see it (right now) I would ultimately like to end up flying.  Whether that is flying for an airline or part 135 I haven’t the slightest idea yet.  However, one thing that I would like to experience is the ATOP program discussed by Mr. Wayne Phillips during a class presentation.  I feel this would give me a great insight into the airlines as well as establishing networking opportunities.  If I were to pursue a career flying in the Airlines I know that there will be many…..many days ahead of me before I have the experience currently required by the airline industry.  Finding a specific airline that I would look to work for is truly impossible at this point.  Flying for Delta seems like a great idea now, but will they be hiring in 10 years, so many things will change between now and then.   Who might be hiring when I might have a competitive amount of hours will play a key role in finding my ‘dream job’, because at the end of the day I feel that my dream job will be any flying that I am involved in.  I feel that flying will play an important role in the future.  However, 40 years from now, we maybe in an entirely different environment with developing nations competing for the resources that are already stretched thin.  This can be seen with many airlines merging, filing for bankruptcy or at the mercy of a weak economy over the past few years the main thing I try to be is flexible and willing to adapt as I try and establish myself in aviation. 

I will also have to consider things involving my personal life.  Making considerations for family and friends might dictate whether or not I would be willing to move out of the country to look for work furthering my career.  As of today, I see myself trying to find a job flying, and the saying, “Will fly for food.” keeps popping up in my head.  Trying to stay flexible and willing to try other positions that will put me in a better position to obtain experience that will put me ahead of the competition for a flight job is vital.

1 comment:

  1. A realistic approach to this assignment :-). Those I've known who really want to fly end up flying somehow. Flexibility will be helpful as well as considering lifestyle choices. Best of luck and see you next semester!

    ReplyDelete